Associate Scientist/ Scientist (Upstream Process Development)
Our client is a leading global player in the Pharmaceutical industry with global headquarters in Basel, Switzerland. They are undergoing a transformation with respect to culture and outside perception. The organisation focusses on novel therapies in Oncology and Ophthalmology and is also currently developing a world-leading pipeline in Neuroscience and Dermatology with one of the strongest pipelines of Phase II/III studies in the world. We are currently looking for an enthusiastic Associate Scientist/ Scientist to be based in Basel Switzerland for a 12 Months contract.
- Supporting the development of efficient, high-yield, robust and scalable fermentation processes for new biological entities;
- Supporting the improvement and intensification of established fed-batch cell culture processes from vial break to harvest, including seed and main bioreactor stages;
- Supporting the implementation and evolution of (semi-)continuous perfusion cell culture processes;
- Supporting the evaluation and implementation of new equipment and technologies in the USP environment;
- Planning and performing parallelized cell culture experiments at lab scale (small to bench-top);
- Supporting NBE development within the Early Phase Development (EPD) Unit, with supervision and guidance from functional experts of the drug substance development teams;
- Working in multidisciplinary and international teams, reporting technical/experimental results to the functional lead in USP development;
- Working at the interface to related drug substance process development and analytical functions;
- Designing, planning and executing USP lab activities, primarily parallel fermentation experiments, in the lab scale facility using state of the art disposable and glass bioreactor technology;
- Recording experimental data in the respective data management systems;
- Evaluating/interpreting and presenting results to the functional experts and USP development team;
- Contributing to the evaluation and implementation of new scientific technologies/equipment;
- Identifying and realizing opportunities for laboratory and process improvements;
- Proactively communicating issues and any critical observations in a timely manner to the appropriate management level and/or relevant project team member(s);
- Taking care of USP laboratory equipment.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor/ Masters of Science in Life Sciences (e.g. Biotechnology, Biochemistry or Bioengineering) with basic or profound knowledge in upstream processing or equivalent education/experience;
- Basic laboratory experience with cell cultures (i.e. aseptic handling of cells) or broad experience in upstream processing with mammalian cell cultures (preferably with shake flasks, wave and stirred bioreactors);
- Intrinsic curiosity, willingness to adopt challenging tasks and grow in related areas of expertise (e.g. parallelized, automated fermentation);
- Fluency in English, German would be a distinct advantage;
- Relevant working/residency permit or Swiss/EU-Citizenship required.