Scientific Communications Director
Our client is a pioneer in Drug Discovery and Development. As the world`s largest R&D spender in the pharmaceutical domain, they work in a vast number of drugs & therapeutic areas and are highly recognized internationally. They are also a leader in the field of manufacturing and selling of several drugs for the treatment of Cancer.
They are currently looking for a Scientific Communications Director for a contract with high chances of extension, to be based in Basel. If you have 4+ years of experience in Medical Education and Scientific Communications, within a pharmaceutical environment or medical communications agency and you would like to step in a key role in which to drive the scientific communication activities at a global level, this is the right opportunity for you.
You will be responsible for the development and implementation of the Scientific Communications Strategy for the assigned molecule/franchise. You will bring consistency across execution, assessment and amplification across all Scientific Communication activities for the assigned molecule and drives excellence and innovation in these areas. You will be responsible for orchestrating the scientific communications strategy and dissemination of data for the assigned disease area and/or brand/molecule through an integrated scientific story using an agreed framework.
- The Scientific Communications Director identifies the audience, defines the channels and the content of all Scientific Communication activities for the assigned molecule/franchise;
- Responsible for dissemination of data through an orchestrated Scientific Communications strategy, including: publications strategy/planning, development of a compelling scientific story, audience identification and appropriate channel selection, needs/insights driven medical education (internal & external) and value-based measurements of the above;
- Drives the publication activities, e.g. submissions to peer reviewed journals, scientific and medical education activities at congresses;
- Responsible for the development of patient focused educational materials;
- Responsible for organizing and driving the Medical Education and Internal Communication activities at congresses;
- Drives, coordinates and communicates activities related to pre-congress medical education materials, including e-learnings and others;
- Responsible for the review and the approval process for grants, sponsorships and donations with educational intent;
- Provides input and/or leads advisory board plans for assigned molecules/franchise;
- Leads and delivers presentations during advisory boards and/or dedicated sections related to the relevant areas, e.g. publication and medical education;
- Responsible for budget planning and tracking of the respective areas/activities in close collaboration with relevant colleagues;
- Engages in regular prioritization, delegation and alignment discussions with vendors. Monitors vendor performance based on cross-functional team assessments, aligned with procurement;
- Acts in line with legal, regulatory and company standards and codes of practice;
- Timely completes all mandatory trainings on global procedures, guidelines, policies and SOPs relevant to the role.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Strong scientific background with Doctorate level degree preferred;
- High ethical standards;
- Ability to demonstrate the Values and Leadership Commitments of the company, including ability to promote and role model integrity;
- Strategic agility and decision-making, achieving results, within timelines and on budget;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, incl. inspiring and influencing;
- Cross-functional teamwork skills, including developing and maintaining trustful relationships, and productively resolving conflicts;
- Technical and business expertise, including analyzing wide range of data and information;
- Project management skills and financial acumen for effective budget/resource management;
- Aptitude to learn and use new databases/IT systems;
- Strong customer orientation and focus;
- 4+ years of Professional experience in the pharmaceutical/ biotechnology industry or related experience;
- Medical affairs, clinical development or medical communications experience is preferred;
- Experience in preclinical/clinical research, pharmaceutical project management and/or product marketing experience is a plus;
- Experience in leading peer-reviewed publications or medical education/communications, in collaboration with scientific experts;
- Experience in interpreting and presenting scientific data;
- Experience in external agency management and in budget management is preferred;
- Experience in Gastro Immunology is highly preferred;
- Understanding of drug development process and regulatory/legal environment for drug;
- Development and registration, clinical trials and medical communications is required;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Relevant working/residency permit or Swiss/EU-Citizenship required.