Our client is a leading global player in the Pharmaceutical industry with global headquarters in Basel, Switzerland. They are looking for a motivated associate scientist or scientist in the field of cell culture process development. You will support the improvement and intensification of cell culture processes for therapeutic protein manufacture as well as the evaluation of new technologies in this field.
- Support the development of efficient, high-yield, robust and scalable fermentation processes for new biological entities;
- Support the improvement and intensification of established fed-batch cell culture processes from vial break to harvest, including seed and main bioreactor stages;
- Support the implementation and evolution of (semi-)continuous perfusion cell culture processes;
- Support the evaluation and implementation of new equipment and technologies in the USP environment;
- Plan and perform parallelized cell culture experiments at lab scale (small to bench-top);
- Support development within the Early Phase Development (EPD) Unit, with supervision and guidance from functional experts of the drug substance development teams;
- Work in multidisciplinary and international teams, reporting technical/experimental results to the functional lead in USP development;
- Work at the interface to related drug substance process development and analytical functions.
- Design, plan and execute USP lab activities, primarily parallel fermentation experiments, in lab scale (10 L) facility using state of the art disposable and glass bioreactor technology. Record experimental data in the respective data management systems;
- Evaluate/interpret and present results to the functional experts and USP development team;
- Contribute to the evaluation and implementation of new scientific technologies/equipment Identify and realize opportunities for laboratory and process improvements;
- Proactively communicate issues and any critical observations in a timely manner to the appropriate management level and/or relevant project team member(s);
- Take care of USP laboratory equipment.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor or Masters of Science in Life Sciences (e.g. Biotechnology, Biochemistry or Bioengineering) with basic knowledge in upstream processing or equivalent education/experience;
- Broad experience in upstream processing with mammalian cell cultures (preferably with shake flasks, wave and stirred bioreactors);
- Basic laboratory experience with cell cultures (i.e. aseptic handling of cells);
- Intrinsic curiosity, willingness to adopt challenging tasks and grow in related areas of expertise (e.g. parallelized, automated fermentation);
- Fluency in English (oral & written) and Proficiency in German would be an advantage;
- Relevant working/residency permit or Swiss/EU-Citizenship required.